March 31, 1800 to October 2, 1963
In 1837 Peter McIntyre, one of the associate judges for York County, with Abraham Wells started this business at York, under the firm name of McIntyre & Wells and moved to Wellsville and started the business of whip making. John E. Wells became a partner in 1841 and aided in building up an extensive manufacturing business. The whips made were of an excellent quality and found a ready sale. In the 1850 York county census, McIntyre lived in the north ward with his wife Catherine and their six children. Also living in the household was Mary “Mammy” Ruggles. McIntyre was a member of York’s Committee of Safety during the Civil War.